Yesterday was my first day of school not as a student, but as a teacher. I was invited by the College Dean of STC to teach one subject for the summer. At first, I was not confident to teach especially because the subject is Public Speaking and Stage Play. Sure I finished Mass Communication, had my master's in Development Communication, and to some extent, have had experiences in public speaking and stage play, but teaching is quite different in that it is more structured---you have a syllabus to make and to follow, you require students to submit papers, evaluate their learning through oral and written exams, etc. But then, I've always wanted to teach and I realized that our Dean's invitation was my first step to enter the academe. In short, I accepted the offer.
So, yesterday was my first day as teacher Em. But as I told my students, I would rather be regarded as their guide in their journey towards learning about and building their confidence along the lines of public speaking and stage play.
It felt weird to be sitting in front of the class, and on a slightly elevated (like a platform) portion of the classroom. Several years back, I was just among the students sitting in one of the chairs. But from now on, I will be sitting/staying in front most of the time.
Hmm, but as they say, life has a lot of firsts. At one point or another, we will experience our "firsts"---first day high (hehe), first boyfriends/girlfriend, first kiss, first heartbreak, first major failure, etc. But I am happy and proud to say that definitely, my first day as a teacher was not that bad. =)
So, yesterday was my first day as teacher Em. But as I told my students, I would rather be regarded as their guide in their journey towards learning about and building their confidence along the lines of public speaking and stage play.
It felt weird to be sitting in front of the class, and on a slightly elevated (like a platform) portion of the classroom. Several years back, I was just among the students sitting in one of the chairs. But from now on, I will be sitting/staying in front most of the time.
Hmm, but as they say, life has a lot of firsts. At one point or another, we will experience our "firsts"---first day high (hehe), first boyfriends/girlfriend, first kiss, first heartbreak, first major failure, etc. But I am happy and proud to say that definitely, my first day as a teacher was not that bad. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment