I appreciate people who love themselves, and who can express this "love of self'' openly. I admire them and I wish that I could also express self-love without qualms or hesitation. It has been said time and again that acknowledging one's talents, good qualities, and blessings is glorifying the Creator. However, no matter how I try, it is always a difficult task to say "thank you" when I am appreciated; to declare that I am good on this and that, or to talk about my family's or a loved one's blessings. Well, this is something personal so I won't bother you on this issue.
Let me just talk about people who love themselves too much. Consider this...you are with your friends and you are talking about the recent breakup of a common couple-friend. Inevitably, you talk about the problem that led to the split, or who to blame, or who you sympathize with. Then, someone in the group cunningly declares how lucky he/she is for having a thoughtful, sweet, naughty lover. Duh.
In another instance, your circle talks about how someone's parents labored hard to get where they are today---wealthy and famous. Then, without any trace of bashfulness, that same person relates how his/her grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles did the same...how they---children of the family---have enjoyed the fruits of their elders' labor...blah-blah-blah. Then, the topic changes. It is now on the marriage plans of a friend. The girls are excited about it. Then, this same person, though not asked, readily shares his/her marriage plans including such details as the theme, venue, reception style, flowers, favors, etc. Then, the conversation moves on to another friend's branded, cheap picks from the "ukay-ukay". Alas, this same person butts in and talks about how he/she scored nice "ukay-ukay" picks. Eeew.
Now here's the worse. You talk about your problem. You are anxious, confused. You just need to be listened to. After you unburden yourself, this same person tells you, "You're going to be fine. You see, am having a problem about this and that right now, and am also worried and confused and blah-blah-blah and more blah-blah-blah! Aargh.
If you ask me what I usually do when talking to or stuck in the company of such a person...well, I ignore him/her. I pretend that I am listening and wish, with all my heart, that he/she would stop. If we are in a group, I go to the comfort room more often, or slowly withdraw from the conversation. When I am really pissed, such as today, I write a blog.
The thing is, it's very hard to confront such a person. One time, when a friend jokingly pointed this "weakness" to another friend, the latter flared up. Tsk, tsk.
Call me judgmental. Bitter. Miss Whiner. Insecure old mammal. Call me anything. But a person like that disgusts me. A person like that turns me off big time!
You love yourself? Go ahead, love yourself. But please, not too much to make me want to puke.
Let me just talk about people who love themselves too much. Consider this...you are with your friends and you are talking about the recent breakup of a common couple-friend. Inevitably, you talk about the problem that led to the split, or who to blame, or who you sympathize with. Then, someone in the group cunningly declares how lucky he/she is for having a thoughtful, sweet, naughty lover. Duh.
In another instance, your circle talks about how someone's parents labored hard to get where they are today---wealthy and famous. Then, without any trace of bashfulness, that same person relates how his/her grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles did the same...how they---children of the family---have enjoyed the fruits of their elders' labor...blah-blah-blah. Then, the topic changes. It is now on the marriage plans of a friend. The girls are excited about it. Then, this same person, though not asked, readily shares his/her marriage plans including such details as the theme, venue, reception style, flowers, favors, etc. Then, the conversation moves on to another friend's branded, cheap picks from the "ukay-ukay". Alas, this same person butts in and talks about how he/she scored nice "ukay-ukay" picks. Eeew.
Now here's the worse. You talk about your problem. You are anxious, confused. You just need to be listened to. After you unburden yourself, this same person tells you, "You're going to be fine. You see, am having a problem about this and that right now, and am also worried and confused and blah-blah-blah and more blah-blah-blah! Aargh.
If you ask me what I usually do when talking to or stuck in the company of such a person...well, I ignore him/her. I pretend that I am listening and wish, with all my heart, that he/she would stop. If we are in a group, I go to the comfort room more often, or slowly withdraw from the conversation. When I am really pissed, such as today, I write a blog.
The thing is, it's very hard to confront such a person. One time, when a friend jokingly pointed this "weakness" to another friend, the latter flared up. Tsk, tsk.
Call me judgmental. Bitter. Miss Whiner. Insecure old mammal. Call me anything. But a person like that disgusts me. A person like that turns me off big time!
You love yourself? Go ahead, love yourself. But please, not too much to make me want to puke.
No comments:
Post a Comment