Friday, September 12, 2008

Not like the other birthdays


Today is my birthday, but unlike my other birthdays, I was not very excited about this one. Maybe because this birthday marks the last year of my 20s (I turn 29 today). Maybe because I am still in denial that I am getting old (ouch). Maybe. Truth is, a big part of this melancholy is the inescapable fact that Victor is leaving really soon. Maoy, I know. But what can I do, the latest turn of events is driving me nuts.

As far as I could remember, it started with his unplanned drinking session with his really good friend Vince, then later with his teacher-friend Sir Radel, another friend Dons, and whoever (I couldn't remember the rest). Dons floated him the idea of working abroad. The next morning he told me he would try. He sent his portfolio. After a week, he sent his resume. The succeeding weeks he exchanged emails with Dons. And before the idea of him working abroad could sink in, he'll already be leaving next week! Whew! Things happened really fast.

I am trying to console myself with thoughts of shopping and holidays abroad. Some days it works, but most days it doesn't. Who cares about the occasional shopping and holidays when most days I am alone and...pathetic, like today (huhu). Maoy, again. But just give me this chance to wallow in self-pity, after all, it's my birthday and this is my blog!

One thing I realized from this unfolding experience is that something good can happen from a drinking session. Without that unplanned drinking session, maybe Victor's horizon wouldn't have widened that quickly. He would be stuck---a little longer---in a company where art is on the fringes of priorities. He would still wait for that opportunity to shine and prove himself.

The bottom line of this birthday piece is that in the midst of my melancholy and whining (hopefully, not nagging), I am supportive of Victor. I intend to remain supportive even if it means a temporary distance from him.

No comments: