Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Such is life?

Life, indeed, is so full of surprises. Quoting Forrest Gump, "it's like a box of chocolate, you'll never know what you're gonna get". 

Just when I decided to join Viktor in Bangkok, leave the NGO world for a while to start this life of togetherness (a.k.a. married life), I got a letter from the Institute of Social Studies of the Netherlands admitting me to the program "Master of Arts in Development Studies major in Poverty Studies and Policy Analysis". I've waited this for as long as I could remember. I've always wanted to study abroad, and with this development, I am getting really close to this dream. I only need to hurdle one more challenge, that is, seeking a scholarship. Tough, huh. 

I have mixed feelings. One part of me is excited, while another part is sad. I want to be with Viktor soon. More than year of being away from each other is torture. Calling and chatting and what-have-you do not suffice. Call me sentimental, but I do want him around. But then opportunities like this does not come every day. I just can't let it pass just because I'll miss Viktor for a year if I'll eventually get a scholarship. I know I have to be rational at this point, after all, Viktor and I have a lifetime to spend together.

But really, it is easier said than done.

No comments: