Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ms. Speech Writer

I've never considered myself a writer. Sure I've written a number of organizational papers, but I don't think that makes me a writer. In truth, I became a writer (at least in our NGO) by default. A few years back, there were less than five of us who could write, and so I was "forced" to take on some writing tasks. Since then, I've written a number of project proposals (of which, thank God, majority has been approved by funding partners), progress reports and some articles for our Cebuano publication, Barug.

For several occasions I tried creative writing, but the results were far from creative. I found myself running out of adjectives and ideas to make the story more colorful, alive, emotionally-charged and what-have-you. As always and as expected, I told the story straight...no drama, no beating around the bush, and in fact, almost devoid of emotions.

I resigned to the conclusion that technical writing is where I am good at. But maybe not. Very recently, our Executive Director asked me to write his speech in the Awarding Ceremony of the 2009 Search for the Outstanding Barangay Council of Cebu City. This was a rare occasion because he is a good writer himself. It's just that his Aunt passed away that week, and he had to take charge of the wake and the burial. I reacted the usual Emma-Lynn-Dadap way--- "Why me? Of all people? I don't want to do it. Blah-blah." Still, I did it. And I realized that writing a speech for someone gives you a different "high".

When our Executive Director read the speech in toto, it made me remember my feeling (I was pissed a little...I assure you, just a little, and was pouting the whole afternoon) while researching for pieces of information and writing them down in two to three paragraphs. I even found myself reciting with him (of course in the silence and comfort of my seat) a couple of lines that I memorized by heart. I could predict at what point he would pause, and at what point he would raise his voice to give emphasis about something. It was heaven listening your words, or more appropriately, listening to someone speak your words.

At that time the line between creative and technical writing became so blurry that I totally forgot all about it. Was that particular piece more on the creative, or on the technical side? I couldn't tell. But then, neither could the audience.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's a nice piece ate ems...i printed it for ED..hehehe