Monday, June 30, 2008

In Fitness and In Health

As the price of gas has skyrocketed in just a few weeks or days, even, so has my waistline. An indicator that I have gained a few pounds. Before you accuse me of being myopic, let me stress a lesson or two from my present state.

A major lesson has something to do with discipline (or the lack of it). When I was still trying (very hard) to lose weight, I watched what I ate, ensuring that it was moderate in carbo, and low in fat and sugar. I exercised at least three times a week and got enough (at least 6 hours) sleep. When I finally achieved my ideal weight, I got complacent. Hmm, but I don't think I am the only one who becomes complacent when things go well. I believe that many people could relate with me.


For quite some time, I've been really careless with my diet---I've been munching a lot of white bread, cakes, chocolates, and junk food. I stopped exercising, and at times, got only four to five hours of sleep. I have also been overworking (I work over the weekends, at night, and almost always early in the morning).


I only relearned the value of healthy lifestyle when I started feeling tired and lousy at work...when a serving of monggo soup means sore in my knee joints...and more importantly, when I could barely fit into my favorite jeans!


Sadly, relearning means starting from square one. I need to go through that stage again, where everything---from choosing a healthy diet to exercising to getting enough rest---seems a punishment. I have to endure until everything gets into my system again. I have yet to start, but that's okay. After all, big things started somewhere, and...in tiny steps.


To all of us who are heading towards fitness and health, aja!

No comments: