Tuesday, November 25, 2008

BKK chronicles #1

What do you do when you are in a foreign land visiting your boyfriend, who is beating a deadline at work and thus, could not go with you to places you want to visit? Since yesterday, I did the laundry, cleaned the room and the toilet, had my manicure and pedicure, chatted to friends who I don't normally chat during busy working days, and sent emails to anyone I could think of. I actually want to get lost in the city today, but BF had firm instructions NOT to go somewhere alone because his place is hard to find and many taxi drivers do not speak English.

One thing I realize is that having learned English is not a huge advantage here because I only speak one or two English words and a lot of sign language! For example, when I went to the parlor yesterday to have my manicure and pedicure, I just pointed my fingers and toes and the women understood what I wanted. Scared that they might overcharge me, I first asked for the price by circling my point finger and thumb. One woman replied to me with her point finger, which meant that it was only 100 Thai baht. Whoa! Perfect. After the service, I tried my hardest to gesture that I would stay a short while to let the color dry. The woman adjusted the electric fan to my direction. Apparently, she didn't get me, but she was pretty close.

Anyway, back to my concern...what should I do now? Hmm, this stubborn woman is not scared of the big city or BF's firm instructions. I will go out and explore. I'll see how far my sign language would take me. Wish me luck!


No comments: